Friday, June 17, 2011

Blue Bird in Watercolor

Except via photos seen by other people, I had never seen a blue bird until we started staying up at my son's property.  Now we get to watch them on a daily basis.

We often see them sitting on the cable or telephone lines as they watch the ground.  Then they swoop down and snatch what ever they might see on the ground.

I love their coloring!

This is watercolor using Cerulean plus Cobalt Blue and Burnt Sienna plus a touch of red.  Indigo with Burnt Sienna was used for darker areas.

Added a touch of 005 Micron pen/ink work for detailing.

This guy was up on our telephone line which is a super dark blue but I chose to leave it light so the feet would show.


2 comments:

Sandy Sandy Art said...

Yes, beautiful bird, Susan. What kind of paper did you use here?

Susan Bronsak said...

This was done in my Hand-book journal book. The texture of the paper nice for the wet in wet look and does well for not being a thicker watercolor paper.