Monday, March 26, 2012

Crab Apple Leaves and Buds - In Watercolor

Last month I did a sketch and simple watercolor of dried up berries I found on a twig from one of two trees in our front yard.  We had no idea what they were at the time but we do now..............Crab Apple trees.

These trees are loaded with buds close to opening up.  Unfortunately, we may not get the opportunity to enjoy their fabulous show this year........we are in for a HARD freeze tonight with no way of protecting the buds.  Chances are the freeze will kill them off.   I've brought three limbs in and placed in a vase to see if they will force open like forsythias do.  I'm keeping fingers crossed this will work.  I'd really like to see what they look like in full bloom.

Here is where they are at right now with the buds...........thought I would capture this before the freeze gets them.

One of the things I find interesting is the fact the leaves are green with red or burgundy.  Some are just  green whereas others have the red tones mixed in.  Makes for a beautiful complimentary contrast.

2 comments:

Sandy Sandy Art said...

Very pretty Susan!

Susan Bronsak said...

Hi Sandy!!!! Thank you. Hope all is going well for you!