Saturday, March 10, 2012

Rhododendron of Some Sort

This is a small leaf version of what I think is a Rhododendron.  It sits on the side corner of the house near the basement door.  The leaves are a purplish green (which I couldn't get mixed right) and the buds are smaller than what one sees on the larger leaf Rhododendrons.

This was a learning experience for me.  Basically what didn't work (just one of those times when nothing seems to go right).  I couldn't get the leaf color mixed to suit this reference plus I struggled for some reason on the buds.  Couldn't get those sections down right.  I ended up splashing some red to hide my mishaps.

Another issue I ran into was results looking dull and flat.  I tried to lift out color to depict sunlight hitting the leaves and began feeling frustrated wanting to go back in to correct.  Basically I started fidgeting and over-working the piece so I called it quits and wrote my notes.

Ending results looks like this poor shrub needs some TLC.

2 comments:

debra morris said...

Looks great to me.....the colours look realistic, like one of my balcony plants and not too overworked

Susan Bronsak said...

Thank you Debra. I was not in the best frame of mind the day I did this. Was trying to focus on something positive as my husband was traveling back from work and was in a bad accident. He's OK but that day was a bit stressful as I waited on him to finally get home.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...