Friday, March 16, 2012

Tree within a Tree and Daffodils

Used to be I would only sketch from photos.  I'm not sure when I went through the transition but I've been finding myself sketching more and more 'on the spot' or 'live'.  At least for stationary subjects.  I'll stick with photos for wildlife and people.  Painting is still done in the comfort of my home as I've not crossed that barrier dealing with the elements (weather and bugs - although I bet might produce some interesting effects).

Yesterday between rain showers I walked around the outer perimeters of the house to see what might jump out at me to sketch. 

One is the tree trunk that looks like a tree growing within a tree.  It's one of two outside the front of the house that produces berries of some sort.  Won't know what type of tree it is until flowers and leaves appear.

The other is a clump of daffodils (and other) growing from a mound of dirt on the side of the house.  It looks like previous owners may have had containers or pots with bulbs and tubers and just dumped them here in this area.  

4 comments:

straythreads said...

Love your daffodils Mine are just barely up.
Ann
http://straythreads-straythreads.blogspot.com

Student of the Bible said...

Very interesting about the tree. You will soon know what tree it is, the moment it shows more 'signs;.
The narscissus are lovely. You might get more surprises when the bulbs start sprouting. Keep us posted!

Susan Bronsak said...

Mystery has been solved......the trees in front are crab apple. Wasn't until the buds started forming that I was able to identify it. Have posted a sampling of the buds above. Just hope the freeze tonight doesn't totally do them in for full blooms this year.

Susan Bronsak said...

Sorry for the late response, straythreads. Hopefully by now your daffodils are in full bloom for you. Thank you for your comment.