Thursday, March 14, 2013

United Kingdom Memories

Here I am reminiscing our trip in 2010 by going through more photos and capturing in my journal book.

This first one I really didn't know where I was going with it when I started.  It was that small boat that I mainly wanted to sketch and worked around it.  Lost in thought, I didn't realize I had started smack dab center of the page.  Although I know in keeping journals there should be no pressure following rules or guidelines, I still try to place things off center somewhat following the rule of thirds.  Not in this case.

The left side is definitely outside my comfort zone so only suggested that area saving it for some written description.

This next one is of a home across from where my friend lives we stayed with for two weeks.  I just loved how looking across the field, you only saw parts of the house with the rest tucked in by surrounding foliage.  This really doesn't represent quite the amount of trees around the house.

Both watercolor sketches worked in the Stillman & Birn Epsilon journal.  1/2" Flat and #8 Round used along with Daniel Smith watercolors.

The greens were mixed with Phthalo Bl, Quin Bt Sienna and Raw Sienna.  Then added a touch of Sap Green.  I'm still undecided on the blue/yellow combination..........at least in the Daniel Smith line of pigments.  Sometimes I turn out OK looking greens and other times I'm not so sure.

Also using the Platinum Carbon pen with Black ink.



2 comments:

Melody said...

I like both sketches~ the one with the boats is outside my comfort zone all around! Making water look like water with shadows and reflections... and the boats sitting in the water, not ON it is tricky! :)))
The house nestled in the woods is more comfortable, "rooted" even. :))

Susan Bronsak said...

Thank you for your lovely comments on both sketches. :-))