Thursday, April 4, 2013

Cathy Johnson's (CJ) Ink and Wash Exercise 2

After playing with several pens just to see how they made marks on paper, I worked my first true exercise.

And the pen I chose wasn't even tested on the previous exercise as I forgot I had dip pens with two different type nibs.

Here are the steps I worked choosing a knife and sheath as my subject that belonged to my dad for many many years given to my husband when dad passed in 2007:

1)  Pencil using a Twist Erase mechanical pencil
2)  Dip Pen with Noodler's #41 Brown ink
3)  #10 Round taking water to the ink lines.  Notice how subtle the ink washes out.
4)  W&N Bt Sienna and Fr Ultramarine for the watercolor wash and #10 Round
5)  Dip Pen with Noodler's #41 Brown ink in some areas for final detailing.

* The little nib illustration is using the Pilot Prera pen with Lexington Gray ink; as is the writing on the page.  My pen was low on ink so was misbehaving a bit putting down ink.

Page in the Stillman & Birn Alpha series journal.









  

2 comments:

Ann said...

Wow - that's fantastic! Wonderful to see all of the steps. I am doing the Ink & Wash course too, began yesterday gathering my supplies and reading through lesson #1. Hopefully I will have something to share soon!

Susan Bronsak said...

Thank you Ann!!!! I love reading through her courses!!! Just love the way she states things and I always enjoy seeing her illustrations!

Hope you are enjoying the course! :-))