Sunday, November 10, 2013

Holly Leaves Pen and Ink plus Watercolor

While out with my daughter-in-law doing house inspections for her job, I came across this holly tree at one of the houses we went to.  I took several pictures and from those pictures I came up with this page arrangement.

Pen and Ink in Moleskine Watercolor sketchbook
Pilot Prera with Lexington Gray ink using the stippling effect for shading.
Watercolors Used:  Daniel Smith - Fr Ultramarine, Sap Green, Aureolin, Perm Aliz, Quint Bt Orange, and Winsor & Newton Skarlet Red.

I used Sap Green as a green mixing base adding the yellow and/or blue to give me different greens.  Also added Perm Aliz to darken one of the mixes for the deepest greens.

The berries were worked in such a way where the left bunch is more vibrant for the focal area.  Then slightly lighter to the right and blue glazed over the red in the back three berries to help push them back.  Notice I placed the lightest more vibrant greens near my focal area.


No comments: