This makes three hand sewn hard bound journals I've made. Each were done a little differently as I try various methods to see which suited me best.
The first as shown in previous post was using scrapbook paper for end pages and purchased book cloth.
The second here was trying scrapbook card stock paper (little thicker than paper but not a real stiff card stock). I found when I folded this it wanted to crack a bit at the fold. Was easier to glue but at the same time wasn't as easy to smooth out wrinkles when glued down. With this journal and the third, I made my own book cloth taking cotton fabric, iron on adhesive, and tissue paper.
The third journal I decided to go without the end pages. I think for future books I'll either use the thinner scrapbook paper stock or none at all. This was easier to put together (text block into book casing) either because I didn't mess with end papers or because it's getting easier with each one I make :-)
After I finished these, I made three spiral journals using the same 140lb cold press watercolor paper. Two were made with soft vinyl covers and the other was made using mat board.
Even though I would have liked to have covered these with fabric, I wasn't sure how my binding machine would handle cutting through glued on fabric.
So here are the journals I have been working on the last several days. I made a total of six accordion fold journals with 14 usable pages and three twice the number of pages (shown here).
With the size spirals used (9/16"), I was able to fit 19 pages in the hard cover - 38 front and back and 21 pages - 42 pages front and back (covers were thinner allowing two additional pages). Hand sewn journals were made with 20 pages - 40 pages front and back.