Monday, February 27, 2017

What Is This Plant

When I first started out sketching this plant, I had no idea what it was.  I saw it hanging at Simon Seed Garden Center and took a picture because of how unusual it was to me.  I'm very unfamiliar with plants that do not require soil to grow.........at least until I worked this journal page and inquired.

Now I know this is a Staghorn Fern.  It's an "Epiphyte" which means air growing plant that attaches to other plants via their roots..........mainly up in trees.  These plants get their water and nutrients by other than soil.

Bromelaids and many orchids fall under this category as well from what I'm understanding.

The Staghorn Fern has the three main parts.......the root ball that attaches to surfaces, the shield fronds that start out green and then normally turn brown that protect the root ball, and then the leaves or antler fronds that grow producing spores (seed).

From all I've read, some young plants may be sold in pots but this plant is normally attached to a board you would hang vertically.  In this case, Simon's had it on this piece of wood shown in the illustration.

Hand sewn journal/Fabriano wc paper and Lamy Safari fountain pen with LG ink

2 comments:

Ginny Stiles said...

Thanks too for more information on this unusual plant which is fascinating but very odd.
I have been away from my sketch book since we went to Simon's with lots of company.
Hope to get back to it soon.

Susan Bronsak said...

Looking forward to when you pick your journal back up :-)