Thursday, February 10, 2011

75 Day Sketch Challenge - Days 15 and 16

Day 15

Initial idea came from the book "Rendering in Pen and Ink, by Arthur Guptill with a twist of my own by leaving out components and keeping things simple (especially in the foreground).




Day 16

Same book trying to capture exact or close to the exact example in the book (except for the foliage).  This example jumped out at me just crying to be sketched.  I love anything to do with birds and especially loved the birdhouse anchored on top of a natural structure like the tree stump. 


OK......now that I've completed a few exercises from a book, I decided to go with something I've experienced first hand.  This is from a photo I had taken during one of our snow storms.  The kids were home from school and having a blast out in the snow.  Our house over looks this area through trees and other vegetation that grows down around the creek bed.  I had zoomed in from quite a distance to take these photos. 

I'm really skittish about drawing people and had to make myself at least give this a try.  I'm glad I did.  This challenge is definitely helping me to face some of my fears with subjects I'm not real comfortable with.....and in pen of all things!


This next one is from a photo taken during one of our outings at a river we like to fish for trout and walleye.  By the river is a place called Pricketts Fort which was built back in the 1700s as a place of refuge from Indian attack and as a trading post.  We've never been inside in all the years we've lived here.  After sitting and sketching one corner, I think come Spring I might actually visit the inside.  Normally historical things don't interest me but for some reason I'm sitting here thinking I'd really like to learn more.


Micron 01 Pen in Brown Notebook

No comments: