Monday, January 24, 2011

Black Capped Chickadee - Ink and Wash

From one of many photos I take watching birds at our bird feeding station, I did this ink and wash sketch.

I love watching the Black Capped Chickadee.  They are cute and funny to watch with their acrobatic antics.

Tombow Marker Brush Markers - Black and Gray
Daler Rowney 3x5" Sketchbook (cartridge paper)

Started out with a light pencil sketch...


Using the brush tip end of the markers, used black around the darker areas and gray within the body for shading and definition within the white areas.


From this point I use a damp or wet round brush and start pulling ink causing it to bleed and spread.  On an acrylic board, I scribble black with the marker pen and create a pool of diluted ink for further shading using brush and water like one would with watercolor.


Continued by going over the darkest areas at neck and top of head in addition to the tree limb.  To finish, I waited till dry and then went back over with deeper glazes in some areas and dry brushing using the ink on the acrylic board.

No comments: