Thursday, January 26, 2012

Mouse in the House - Graphite

This was done in the Handbook sketchbook with a Med Wash Derwent graphite pencil (4B)

I've come to love holding the pencil where the side of the lead is what comes in contact with the paper as I get my form down.  Especially with subjects I might not feel real confident in trying to capture.  Then I go back with the point to  give more definition in detail. 

Using the side of the lead with light pressure not only makes it easy to correct, it gives the sketched subject a fuzzy look for added dimension (hoping I'm using the proper word for what I'm trying to convey).

This is either a field mouse or deer mouse.  My son is referring to them as field mice.  I'll have to do some research to find out which, if any difference. 

No comments: