Monday, June 6, 2011

Horse at the Columbus, OH Zoo

I have to admit that I did not use the triangle/square/circle method with this sketch.  Instead I just eye-balled the best I could using one of my photos.  I do feel however that the two previous horse profiles I sketched using the shapes method helped tremendously in my coming close with overall shape and proportions this go around.

As for what breed of horse this is......I have no clue.  He was in the petting area for children.  Here's the photo I did this from and I'm sure those familiar with horses will probably recognize what kind he is.




Here is my sketch using the Tombow marker pen (black) and brush with water (I used a synthetic round #5 rather than a waterbrush for better control of water flow).




4 comments:

Sandy Sandy Art said...

You are up and sketching bright and early this morning Susan! Wonderful drawing!! This is a miniature horse,actually a small pony. They come in all types. There are lots of good images on google images. See more about them at Wikipedia here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miniature_horse.

Susan Bronsak said...

Thank you for the link and your encouraging comment. Actually I wasn't up early but up late. One of those nights I was wound up so I put that energy to good work - sketching :)

Donald W. said...

You have a really great blog. I drew a horse but I am sure you don't want to see it. It kind of came out looking something like a thing between a dog and strange looking land monster.

Susan Bronsak said...

Donald....thank you for your compliment on the blog. Truly appreciate it.

And I wonder if you're not being over critical of your own results? I know I sure can be with my own. I should post one of my earlier attempts on Yorshi that I recently posted. Everyone in my family refers to it as "dog on steroids" :-)

All a learning experience, right?