Sunday, June 19, 2011

Hummingbird in Gouache

First off, I want to again mention Sandy at Sketching Everyday.com.  I've silently followed her for the last couple of years as I love her watercolor sketching technique........favorite subject being the hummingbird.  Sandy has painted several hummingbirds all of which I absolutely love.  Especially those she renders in flight.

One in particular really captured my heart and I've practiced painting this pose a couple of times.  Her painting is stunning with the lost and found areas that makes it magically blend in with its surrounding background area.  The placement of darks and lights is what makes this super appealing to my eyes.  

Take notice to how she rendered the wings in particular.

Here is the link to her painting, August 2009.  (I found it, Sandy)

Although I've tried to emulate her method, I have not been able to render that magic she achieves.  But I won't give up........I'll continue trying until I can at least come close.  She's such an inspiration.

Playing with gouache, I've followed (copied) Sandy's example as shown in the above link.  I'm not unhappy with the results but I feel I can do better in achieving what I hope to achieve.  I'm still learning this medium and not sure yet just what it can do (or not do).

Thank you, Sandy, for permission to share this.

As for those viewing this post..........please DO check out http://www.sketchingeveryday.com/  Not only will you find wonderful examples of her work, Sandy sets challenges encouraging people to follow along and submit to her for sharing on her blog.  Another link to this wonderful artist is:  Sandy Sandy Spiritartist

1 comment:

Sandy Sandy Art said...

OMG Susan - You are going to give me a big head!! LOL
I had totally forgotten about that particular hummer image!! Thanks for the link. :-D . . . AND THANK YOU SOOO MUCH for all your enthusiasm and energy. You are taking SketchingEveryday to a whole new level. Lucky me, lucky US!! I love what you have done with the gouache so far too! Thank-you Susan, for everything, Thank-you very much!