Saturday, January 5, 2013

Brain and Hand Don't Quite Connect

Have you ever experienced where you look at something thinking......."Oh, I can do that.........doesn't look hard or complicated"...........only to find it doesn't quite work out as you might have thought?

I can sit and look at something and even sketch it out in my mind.  Then something happens when I take pen or pencil to hand trying to capture what I see onto paper with all the fine curves and angles.  That is what happened here with the rope and knots.

It might pass as rope and knots but the curves in the strands are not right or as they should be.  And really is not a complicated subject to try to render (at least I didn't think so).

Here's playing using Derwent Sketching water soluble pencil 8B............sketching out the lines first and then creating a pool of ink on my palette surface and painting on the graphite with a nylon brush for shading and tone.  To finalize, I went back over with either my Pilot Prera or Noodler's Flex pen and Lexington Gray ink (it blends in beautifully with graphite sketches).

Using Stillman & Birn Epsilong series journal.

6 comments:

larry said...

These rope sketches are awesome. Looks like that watercolor pencil appeals to you :-)

Hwee said...

I tried drawing ropes once, a few years ago, and made a complete mess of it. The water soluble pencil works very well for you!

Sandy Sandy Art said...

Nice sketches of a complex subject!

Susan Bronsak said...

It's a nice change, Larry. Interesting how graphite can be made water soluble. Thank you for your comment :-))

Susan Bronsak said...

Thank you Hwee!! I still feel I need more practice. This subject (as well as painting tools) is fun to work.

Susan Bronsak said...

Thank you Sandy!!!! :-))