Sunday, January 6, 2013

Painting Snow - Examples from the Past

Thought I would share some examples of my snow scenes I've done through the years.

Idea to post now is from a question I read from someone asking to be directed in how to paint snow.  One person's work I studied to help me was Suzie Short.  (Link takes you to a you-tube video example)  I've also picked up ideas from Susan Scheewe as well as Peter Saw, Gordon MacKenzie and Sterling Edwards.

Basically what I learned is that we don't paint snow..........we paint shadows to create contours of the landscape and cast shadows from surrounding elements.

I practiced laying down lines and curves of gray blues and lavendar untoned blues on paper and while still wet took a clean damp brush and softened the top edges of the paint mark to blend into the white surrounding area.

With snow still covering the ground outside, I really should try some more snow scenes.  They've always been my favorite!!!





4 comments:

Jude said...

Susan...these are beautiful snow scenes.

Susan Bronsak said...

Thank you, Jude, for the lovely compliment!

Sandy Sandy Art said...

NICE! Love the one w/ the person and the tree!

Susan Bronsak said...

Thanks, Sandy! That's one of my favorites too. I like the fantasy feel to it with how the sky turned out.