Sunday, September 21, 2014

Trying the Strathmore Visual Journal

I picked this journal up a few months ago and decided to give it a try.  I wasn't really sure what to expect as I haven't used Strathmore paper outside of watercolor pads many years ago that I didn't really care for.  This journal, however, promises to be fun to use.

I like how color lifts; like how the paint spreads wet in wet; and even with a fan blowing over head, the paper stayed wet long enough for me to work an area without fear of it drying too quickly.  The surface is bumpy on the front side of the page and slightly smoother on the back side.........both sides fun to work on.

One thing I noticed using a Micron pen, the ink could be lifted with the corner tip of a slanted flat brush.  That's not such a bad thing either when necessary.

Very first page in the journal which consists of 140 lb Cold Press paper.  Using Daniel Smith watercolors and Micron 03 and 005 pens.



Backside of the first page in the journal.  Slightly smoother surface making it easier to use pen and ink; although, I really didn't find it to be much problem on the front either.  Using Daniel Smith watercolors and Micron 03 pen.