Tuesday, May 11, 2021

Big Disappointment - Magnolia Flower

So far I have seen and monitored two buds that opened and went through the stages up to all petals turning brown.  There was another bud ready to open as of last night I was so looking forward to seeing as there were no limbs or bunches of leaves to hinder the flower from opening completely.  

When I woke up, I went outside and took a picture of that bud and knew that sometime through the day, it would definitely open.  And I was right.  UNFORTUNATELY, sometime during the day, something attacked this flower leaving petals on the ground exposing an entire side of the center.  Chances are it may have been squirrels as we have an over-abundance of them this year eating up our growing avocados and causing havoc at our bird feeders.  Neighbors are also complaining about how bad the squirrels are this year.  One neighbor in particular has already trapped over two dozen (just from his yard) relocating them to the National Forest near us.

Last page in journal from Fay.  TWSBI 580ALR w/#41 Brown / QoR and DS watercolors.



2 comments:

Jenneke said...

I feel your disappointment! Squirrels can be so interesting to watch,but can they ever infuriate! My brother-in-law’s neighbour live trapped and relocated some to a wood lot about 5-7km away. After a few day my BIL thought they’d come back, so this time they daubed some paint on them before letting them go. Shortly thereafter,squirrels with blue dots were tormenting them again! After catching them a third time, they brought them to a bush 30 km away. They enjoyed a relatively peaceful summer after that!
I’ve never commented before, but I’d just like to say how much I enjoy receiving your posts. Your artworks and stories are wonderful.

Susan Bronsak said...

Dear Jenneke, thank you so much for sharing your personal experience with squirrels. I'm hoping the National Forest near us is far enough to where those trapped don't find their way back here. I love watching squirrels too but they can indeed cause a lot of damage. Our first hand experience with that were squirrels in our attic. Ugh!

Anyways.........I sincerely thank you too for your lovely comment about my posts. :-)