Sunday, July 4, 2021

First of the Month Drawings - Graphite and Digital

Starting July off, I've been on a flower/plant kick starting with this pencil drawing of a new Orchid Terry picked up for me from Lowes.

Stillman and Birn Alpha 9x12 sketchbook using .7 mechanical pencil.


One of my favorite flowers to draw and paint is the dog rose.  My dad had this gorgeous vining shrub that grew up and around a huge oak tree.  Over the years I've grown from starters taken from his shrub with one that climbed up a lattice and across the railings of our porch when living in West Virginia.  I have another starter I brought here in Florida but so far in six years, I've not been able to get it to flower.  The problem might be it's still in a pot and might do better if planted into the ground.  We just haven't been able to decide where to plant it.

With this one I chose to work on my Ipad.  I worked it using black only and the HB pencil brush tool.  The color is from using another layer over top the drawing layer and painting on color where I needed it and changing the layer bland mode to "Color."



 

2 comments:

Made.by.Fay said...

So happy to see more of your beautiful flower drawings. I have been curious about the Stillman and Birn sketchbooks. It looks like this one does very well with graphite. Such a smooth, soft look. And I love the dog rose drawing. One of my favorite flowers. Last year I foraged the hips from wild rose bushes and used them in tea over the winter. They are high in vitamin C. Your drawings are lovely.

Happy sketching!
Fay

Susan Bronsak said...

Thanks Fay :-) I really like the Alpha especially for graphite but does very well with ink and watercolor. This particular sketchbook I am trying to dedicate to only graphite.