Monday, January 17, 2022

Gnomes

For days I have been looking at various crafted gnome ideas and came across videos on how to make miniature gnomes as tree ornaments and free standing gnomes by altering the stuffing contents.

My favorite videos on these are by Emelie Lefler on YouTube.

So that I didn't have to keep referring back to the videos, I decided to draw these illustrations I can follow when the materials come in to make.



After working up this sheet, an idea hit me the gnomes I illustrated could be used in other ways like as ATCs and ecards.  Because I'm working digital, I can change colors, add embellishments and other things for variation.

This is one idea I came up with using balloons I had already drawn and embellishments I'm starting to create to use at any given time when making ecards.

From the original illustrations above, I changed the color tones on the male gnome's hat and body (didn't like how orange the red originally looked), changed the sizes on their noses, added the embellishments on the hats, and added shadows.  Then took my heart balloons apart I had drawn earlier this month as a tied bunch and separated a few placing as seen below.

 


The beauty of drawing digital and creating every component on a separate layer allows me to do things like this with ease.  Sometimes I might need to make alterations or minor changes but at least it saves time having to start over from scratch, which I don't always feel like doing.  


2 comments:

Fay said...

It is good to see some creative work from you again. The gnomes are adorable! You have a gift for making digital sketches look like sketchbook sketches. 😀 Thank you for sharing.

Susan Bronsak said...

Thank you, Fay!! I'm trying to keep busy :-)