Tuesday, January 3, 2023

Struggling Amaryllis

It's been several weeks since I've picked up a pencil or even my iPad and now trying to get back to some drawing.  From November until present day, we have been involved in various activities from crafting to putting together Lego sets to playing the new Pokemon that came out Nov 18th.  Then you add the holidays.

For my first drawing in 2023, I chose this Struggling Amaryllis.  I was really surprised it made it, let alone bloom.  I tried a waxed Amaryllis for the first time and the first stalk that grew was tall producing four flowers.  That stalk crowded the leaves and a second bud that barely rose from the waxed bulb.  The flowers were beautiful but didn't last long.  Faded much sooner than ones I've grown in the soil.

After the first flowers faded, I cut the stalk back to the top of the waxed bulb to see what might happen with the leaves and the second bud.  That bud struggled for the longest time but as the cut stalk started to shrivel inside the encased wax, it seemed to allow more room and the second bud started moving upwards.  Not by much but at least enough to where it started to open.  So second flowering is somewhat stunted but is still going strong.

 



No comments: