Wednesday, August 14, 2024

Yesterday and Today's Sketching

My goal for August is to attempt something each day.  I'm on a kick sketching in black and white and then adding color either by using a layer using Multiply or a layer using the Color Blend Mode.  Both are transparent layers and merge with those layers beneath.

From what I experience and understand, the difference is the Color Blend mode only shows color over the underlying grays and black within the layers below it.  The Color Blend mode is also more saturated in color than the Multiply.  Resulting color shows up much brighter/stronger than if I used the Multiply mode and with that I often have to go in and change saturation, brightness, or even opacity for the results I want.

Multiply mode makes the color layer "blend" with the layers below but you have to take care where you lay the color down.  It will show even in areas surrounding the underlying layers regardless of color (black or color).

There is so much yet to learn and that is what is fascinating to me.  I have only touched the surface of what I can do even after all these years I've been using Procreate on my iPad.  A whole different set of techniques to play around with and continue to change with new upgrades.  And of course the biggest plus for me is one can play to their hearts content and just undo as many times as it takes to get the results without having to start over or ruin a paper or canvas piece of artwork.

So here is yesterday's and this morning's sketching.  It's not much but it's something.  The garlic is using Color Blend mode but the broccoli and cauliflower are using the Multiply layer mode.



No comments: