Saturday, July 2, 2011

Snail in Graphite

We have family coming for the weekend so I was up late still in the mood to get some sketching done as I knew I might not have the opportunity over the next couple of days.

Sandy from sketchingeveryday.com has really opened up a door for me with her gesture exercise challenge set this past Monday.  I've learned to use the side of my pencil(s) rather than the point on a regular basis which keeps me from getting too detailed too early in the game.  I find I focus more on shape not allowing detail to cloud my mind.......that is until I am ready to fine-tune with the detail I want to add.

The gesture exercise has definitely helped me learn to move quickly capturing the essence of what I'm looking at.  Although that may not be what gesture sketching is all about, I find this ideal or concept works for me.

1 comment:

Sandy Sandy Art said...

I am so glad you have found gesture drawing to be helpful Susan. It really is how ALL drawing should be started. (Except for contour that is). I like your snail. Weird creatures aren't they?