Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Spontaneous Painting Following Steve Mitchell (Mind of Watercolor)

As one who needs to see something in front of her to sketch or paint, I decided to step outside my comfort zone using some imagination to produce this.   This exercise is following Steve Mitchell - Mind of Watercolor - video tutorial on YouTube.

This was fun but also a bit of a strain on my brain as I tried to work through seeing and producing the shapes with pen and ink.  Reminds me of looking to the sky and visualizing shapes in clouds or shapes seen in wood grain and floor tiles.   I need to do more of this :-) 

With kind permission from Steve Mitchell, I'm sharing my results. 

Worked in the Strathmore Visual WC journal.  I used an American Painter 4400 - 5/8" angular flat to lay down the color (Daniel Smith watercolors), 01 and 05 Micron pens, and a small round for a few areas.



2 comments:

Annie said...

Wow! This really turned out nice. I too, tried Steve’s spontaneous painting method once: https://www.annieglacken.com/2017/04/05/spontaneous-painting/ It was a challenge but fun! I need to try this again!

Susan Bronsak said...

Annie..........thank you! Your's is lovely and it's great to see all the steps you shared! What a lovely color scheme. I didn't see how to post a comment there so I hope you see this.