Sunday, October 25, 2020

October Daily Challenge with BeeJayDel - Days 1-12

It's been days since I last posted as I have been engulfed in a unique challenge helping me learn the ins and outs of using Procreate.  

Although I've used the app for several years, I only touched the surface of what it offers people with digital artwork.  This challenge teaches techniques beyond the basics and I am grateful.  Such a fun way to learn too.

The challenge is presented by BeeJayDel on Facebook and his YouTube channel.  Instead of Inktober (which I normally work each year), he chose to produce a video each day of a Halloween cartoon character.  He invites people to draw along with him and then share their efforts.

Because I didn't come across his channel until well into the month, I have been playing catch-up working four (sometimes three depending on the complexity) each day.  I have finally caught up.

So far here are twelve of the days I have completed.  Tonight or tomorrow I should be able to share another twelve days.  Below image I share just what I have learned.



What I have learned:

1)  How to use Alpha Lock
2)  How to use Clipping Mask Layers
3)  Setting an ink drawing as a reference and adding color to fill within the lines on another layer.
4)  How to use a layer with drag and drop flat color and then a different layer with shadows and another for highlights.  Although I use multiple layers, I was not accustomed to using the drag and drop of colors into an area.  I just normally "painted" in with the apple pencil and chosen brush tool.
5)  How to use the selection tool to "draw" with.
6)  How Gaussian Blur can be used within a drawing/painting.
7)  How to group layers
8)  How to first use a loose sketch using basic shapes (something I don't normally do but instead jump right in with a preliminary pencil sketch almost as detailed as my inking) followed by detailed ink line work.
9)  Working with various texture brushes
10)  How to use the warp tool to reshape basic shapes like circles, rectangles, etc.

**I'm sure I could come up with other things but at the moment these are the top things I have picked up from working this challenge.

Although I'm not a cartoonist nor do I have much in the way of imagination with the work I do, this has been refreshing from my normal style and interest in capturing what I see in front of me....recording my day to day in journals.

This is a blast and I'm extremely thankful for stumbling on this gentleman and his tutorials.  And my eldest granddaughter has also been captivated by this challenge.  Her and I have been texting and sharing our efforts.  

No comments: