Sunday, September 26, 2021

Magnolia Seed Pod

It took a few years before this tree would bloom.  Then we would miss the blooms and only find evidence that the tree had indeed produced a few flowers by finding dried up pods.  This year I was able to follow the blooming process of about half a dozen flowers from bud to pod with seeds.  

We were down to two pods remaining on the tree after hard rains and high winds knocked the other pods off prematurely.   One started popping seeds while the other still has a few days to go before it does (probably due to it being in a shadier area).  

I cut the pod off the tree while only a few seeds were popping out.  It's been sitting on my desk and each day more and more seeds emerge.

This was quite a challenge for me due to the complexity of the pod itself....especially those areas where seed had not started showing.  Part of the pod was a light tan to a pinkish tone to brown.  The flesh was still somewhat soft when I first cut the pod off the tree.  As the seeds emerge, the pod changes to brown and hardens.  My drawing is at the earlier stage showing the color variation when still soft.


UPDATE:  I thought I would remove the writing and date to print off as an ATC as well as adding another leaf to the left corner.  I haven't quite decided which I like better....with or without the added leaf.  (Fortunately, I can always revert back to without the added leaf if I need to.)




No comments: