Thursday, August 15, 2019

American Redstart

Still combing through photos, I came across several of this bird bathing in our algae stained mushroom shaped water fountain.  This is from my favorite photo where she sat still long enough to get a really clear picture of her.  Loved how her tail feathers were fanned out.

I had to look this bird up and believe it's a female American Restart.  The photo was taken in August of 2017 and I haven't seen any like her since.....although I now sit in the front of the house rather than in the back where I used to sit looking out at the fountain.

What I really like about this bird is the multiple colors seen in the wings.  Her head is more gray and the feathers range from an olive brown/green to black with splashes of yellow.  It was a challenge to capture the colors in my sketch but I think I came close.

HSFab01 sketchbook / Lamy Vista with Document Brown ink / QoR watercolors




No comments: