Sunday, October 27, 2019

What Overcharging a Rechargeable Battery Can Do

An experience to remember with regards to rechargeable batteries.  Don't leave them plugged in even using a USB port on a CPU.

This battery is from my previous Samsung S5 cell phone I use for other than telephone....mainly as a home thermostat remote.  It also has game apps I didn't want to bog down my current cell phone.

I went to change the thermostat the other day and noticed the phone looked and felt weird.  I noticed the screen was pulling away along the edges and bulging in the center.  Also found it was bulging along the back where the phone was no longer laying flat.  Upon removing the case and back to the phone, I found the battery was inflated.......bulging front and back.  And researching what can happen with batteries, learned this could have ended poorly for us either catching fire or exploding.  Lesson learned and BEFORE anything bad happened.

Replaced the battery with a second I had on hand and my phone is back to normal with screen back in place (and NOT plugged in).  :-)

FIbook75x75 / Stonehenge Aqua / W&N watercolor / Lamy w/Urban Grey ink


No comments: