Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Flamingo Flower Gift to Me years Ago

Between the wildlife I see everyday, flowers blooming outside, and plants/flowers growing inside, I have plenty of subject material to work on to keep myself sane during a trying time.  Although I may follow news updates just to keep informed, I do make it a point to unplug for long stretches each day and do other things as a break from it all. 

Today's sketch is my Flamingo Flower plant that was gifted to me by my brother-in-law a couple years ago working in my Journal with Fabriano Hotpress  / Pilot Prera w/F nib and #41 Brown ink / DS watercolors.

Lately I've been working between two journals with very different papers and different brands.  One is made up of Arches Coldpress with quite a toothy surface (especially when working with pen and ink) versus the smooth surface of Fabriano Hotpress in another journal.  With each, I find I have to work differently in how I apply my watercolor washes.  In addition, I have to work with different pens and even inks due to tooth and also in how long it takes the ink to dry on the two different surfaces.  For me, it's fun and challenging.

Another thing I like to do is change my order of how I work pen and ink and the watercolor wash......just as a change and the challenge it provides as well.





No comments: