Friday, August 21, 2020

Sketching with WC Pencil versus Graphite

 A few people I know use a watercolor pencil to work their preliminary sketch before inking and adding color.  One I know normally uses a blue-gray and another uses a light brown.  My friend who uses the light brown chooses that color because she prefers to ink using brown ink.  

Out of curiosity I thought I would try using a brown watercolor pencil since I was planning to use brown ink.  I chose a Bt Sienna so I could actually see what I put down on paper.  A lighter brown would have been way too challenging for me to see.  

My goal was to compare using a WC pencil versus using graphite with regards to erasing the lines later, smearing as I worked, and how well the ink flowed over the pencil lines.  

What I found was the WC pencil did not smear like graphite would while working.  The side of my hand or finger did not pick it up like it would working with graphite.  I worked my little experiment on Fabriano Hotpress and found the WC pencil erased easily with a kneaded eraser.  The nib and ink covered over the WC pencil lines with ease whereas it doesn't always over graphite.  



I was encouraged by my findings thinking I might start using the WC pencil more often when working my light pencil sketches UNTIL I used the same pencil on Stonehenge Aqua.  My findings on a different paper surface showed just the opposite.

Looking closely at pencil lines using WC pencil, you can see they did not erase cleanly.  I not only used a kneaded eraser, I also went over with a plastic eraser.  With the remaining pigment embedded in the paper fibers, the WC pencil bled when going in with wet brush and color.

This was a great learning experience for me.  I have learned to just embrace my graphite pencil, smears and all.  At least that can be easily remedied either by using a tissue or paper towel while working or erasing later.




No comments: