Tuesday, August 4, 2020

August Challenge Between Friends

My friend and I took a break from the challenges for a couple of months but started back up last month.  July was mine to come up with a topic, which was the Notan Art concept.  This month my friend came up with the challenge to illustrate EACH letter of our FULL name.  Each letter had to be part of the illustration.  Her incentive came from a card she received where the front of the card was the full alphabet with each letter illustrated.

Me being one to jump on board with the challenges early in the month, I finished mine within two days.  The first day was working on each letter from the time I got up until I went to bed and then finished the last several letters the next day and made changes to others I wasn't crazy about.

I worked each letter individually using Procreate on the Ipad and with the Inking / Studio Pen brush tool.  By working digital, if I wanted to make changes, I could without a lot of hassle or having to redo a letter completely (especially considering how many I had to work to complete the challenge).  Once done, I uploaded all the individual letter illustrations and then grouped together in one file using Photoshop Elements.  I could arrange the letters in various ways but chose to keep it simple.

With the colors I used in the letters, I didn't want any repeat of a color, which was fun in itself as I made decisions in what color to use for each letter in relations to one another.

As for how I worked the illustrations with each letter,  I ended up with two illustrations sitting behind the letter.  I was still trying to work out how to do things in my mind with my first name.  Notice with the middle and last name that I found ways to weave the illustrations in and around each letter, which I really like.  Easier to do with some subjects than others.

This was involved but I have to say it was a lot of fun.  Even with that said, by the time I finished all the letters to my liking, I was ready to call this done.........ha ha.



No comments: