Monday, May 29, 2017

Fidget Spinners

Dealing with anxiety issues at times (especially in public), one of my sons recommended I try a fidget spinner to see if it might help when needed.

The first one I bought was the all brass spinner.  Then I picked up a few more due to their colors and shapes.  I liked the ones with the added ball bearings spaced around the ABS plastic bodies.  They add a neat effect when spinning plus offers something else you can fidget with if not spinning.

They are fun to play with.  At home I stack them on top of one another spinning in different directions.  I love watching them spin as it's mesmerizing.  Also I have found having one in my hand when sitting idle watching TV keeps my fingers out of my hair.........a habit I have had since a young child and not very hair friendly!

I've learned that besides being a child's toy, adults are getting into them as well.  You'd be amazed by tricks some are able to do with these.  And I've read that groups have competitions.

Another thing I've learned is that these spinners are becoming quite a collector's item for some.  They come in various shapes, sizes, and materials ranging from a few dollars to over $150.  The bearings used make a difference in how well and how quiet they spin.  Really interesting for something so simple.

Now do they help with anxiety?  Not a magic cure-all but I'd have to say yes to a good degree (at least from my own experience).  Do they help with boredom.......I'd say for me yes.  Do they help with concentration.........the jury is still out on that one.  They are definitely a plus for one who has the need to  fidget with something at any given time.

Stillman & Birn Beta / Lamy Safari




2 comments:

Ginny Stiles said...

Who knew there were so many kinds!!!
I will have to try one just to see what they are like.
Bet my grand kids will have one.

Susan Bronsak said...

I bet your grandkids do have one. I got notice a new mini has been released. Only the size of a half dollar total.