Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Boot in the Garden - Stillman & Birn Beta Journal

The more I work in this journal book, the more I'm liking it.  My first impression was good and I'm feeling even better now after several experiments.

Here I worked wet in wet and also glazing.  Glazing was tricky with the moleskine as the underlying wash wanted to lift off easily.  The Handbook soaked in paint/water quickly making it a bit challenging for smooth applications.  Not that either were impossible but took some working.

Glazing on this paper worked out quite nicely.  Underlying washes can still be lifted if not careful but that's with many papers.  But glazing on this paper is better than either the Moleskine or the Handbook (for how I work).

Another thing that impressed me was how nicely you could blend or fade out a brush mark of color.  The brush to me just feels like it glides across the paper.

This was done with a #8 and #10 Round

Dip Pen and Sepia Ink

Daniel Smith:  Fr Ultram, Raw Sienna, Bt Sienna, Aureolin, Indigo, Lunar Black (I was looking for some granulation) and a touch of Quin Gold to liven up a few areas.

Stillman & Birn Beta Series Journal

 
.

No comments: