Thursday, August 2, 2012

Gate in Pen and Ink - Ravenstonedale, Cumbria

This photo is of one of many gates across the countryside my friend Clare came across while on a walk in the village of Ravenstonedale, Cumbria, during their holiday last week.  For the month of August, Clare set this as a monthly photo challenge for several to capture in watercolor. 




I'm not sure if I'll go any further than this pen and ink or maybe add watercolor.  I haven't decided yet.

The main emphasis is the gate area I sketched in pen/ink with the countryside faintly added with pencil.

The Handbook sketchbook
Noodler's Flex pen / black ink








As you can see, I've decided to take color to my pen and ink sketch.  I find myself feeling a little timid for some reason.  I guess most of us have days like that............some days feel courageous and confident diving right in whereas other days dragging one's feet and hesitantly tip toeing in.......lol

Paints Used:

W&N - Bt Sienna, Raw Sienna, Fr Ultra, and Cob Blue.
DS - Sap Green, New Gamb, Quin Gold, and not sure what the dried puddle of gray green is made up of........from last painting session.

#8 Round and 3/8" Angular Flat

I wanted to stop before the gate area and scan but forgot until this point.

Viewing this on screen, I see there's not much difference in value between foreground I've started and the area behind the gate and stone wall.  I need to work on this so the middle and background are pushed back giving me some depth.  Hopefully I can do that without over-working everything.  My goal is to complete this and still maintain a fresh feel to it.

FINISHED

No comments: