Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Great Blue Heron

Today's ink and wash sketch of a Great Blue Heron photographed while in Texas.

I'm always amazed by the size of these birds every time I see them.  Living up north the largest bird I've seen is a pileated woodpecker.........maybe a third of the size compared to the largest of the GBHs I've seen in Rockport, TX.

This sketch was done in the Stillman & Birn Alpha 8.5 x 11" journal

Pilot Prera with Nakimi black water soluble ink

3/8" Angular Flat for wash

Left side - pen and ink before wash and then the ink and wash to the right.

Haven't decided if I want to do anything more to this or not.  The background of this bird is water and I only lightly suggested that with pencil (if you can even see it).



UPDATE:  This is what I decided to do with this journal page.  I chose not to add any watercolor but to write notes about our driving around locating the various wildlife in the area.





.

No comments: