Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Hummer on Limb

Here is the same hummer I posted last night only this time where he was sitting on the limb above the feeder.

With this sketch I decided to take some color to it trying to render this little guy close to how he really looked with some of the brown I mentioned.  In reality there are many little markings in the chin area (or whatever you call it) but I didn't want to over do it and only suggested those markings.

Stillman & Birn Alpha Journal

Pilot Prera with black water soluble ink (Namiki Black)

3/8" Angular Flat

Daniel Smith:  Fr Ultram, Bt Umber, Raw Sienna, Sap Green

Left showing with pen and ink and the right is the final after taking a wet (not too wet) angular flat going over the ink lines to fade and wash out for some shading.  Then applied the watercolor after the ink wash dried.

This little sketch is 4" in height and not quite 4" wide.




2 comments:

Sandy Sandy Art said...

Nice Susan! My guess is that this little guy was probably an immature Rufus.

Susan Bronsak said...

Thanks Sandy!!! :-) A Rufus? That's neat! I'll have to look them up to learn a bit more about them.