Friday, February 16, 2018

FINALLY a Hummingbird!

Since we moved to Florida, we've not had much luck seeing hummingbirds.  We had scores of them back in West Virginia and I've missed having them around.

This year we thought maybe to place the feeder in the front yard rather than the back.  We also put the feeder out early after researching and reading mid to late February or early March would be a good time.

Within the first 24 hours of setting up a feeder, Terry heard a humming while sitting out reading his book.  The little guy quickly tested out the feeder and flew off.  A few days later Terry saw one again but didn't stay around very long.

Today I FINALLY had the opportunity to see one and this time he or she sat for quite awhile on the feeder taking his fill of nectar.  I had plenty of time to observe and even take photos through the window before he flew off.

Here's my recording of today's sighting.  I'm using pigments I don't normally use by Daniel Smith.  A light and darker green........the darker having quite a bit of sediment in it leaving a texture on the paper.  Something similar to the lunar pigments.  The Greens I used were Rich Green and Green App.  Then I used some Sap Green with Dioxide Purple to darken some areas.  I finished it off with watercolor pencils for some added darker bluish green tones.

This time I chose not to use pen and ink.

Beta 3.5 x 5.5 journal


2 comments:

Ginny Stiles said...

OH my gosh he is just super darling...I love all the choice of greens AND the added pencil.
Super nice.

Susan Bronsak said...

Thank you Ginny! This was definitely fun to do.........partly due to my excitement actually seeing one for more than a fleeting moment.......lol

I should use my WC pencils more often. I too like the effect.