Saturday, February 13, 2021

Practice Blending - Dogwood

One of my all-time favorite trees has always been the Dogwood.  I absolutely LOVE the flowers and such a beautiful sight to see welcoming Spring....at least living up North.  We haven't seen them here in Florida and not sure they can be grown here.

I was going through my photos and those I've taken of our dogwood trees (growing wild on the hill we used to live on in West Virginia) grabbed my attention.  I thought they would make a great subject to practice blending and softening hard edges.

Choosing a brown color, I used an Inking brush tool to sketch simple lines.  Then used the Smudge brush tool to pull color from the lines and blend out.

Had this been done using pencil on paper, I would have worked the same way using a tortillon or paper stump.

Initial line drawing before smudging/blending:



No comments: