Saturday, October 26, 2013

Christmas Cactus in Pen and Ink - Pilot Prera

This little sketch was worked in my Moleskine Watercolor sketchbook.  I've included a video (not the best and may try that again) showing how I hold the pen and how I work my hatch marks so I can control the values with the ink as it goes down on the paper.

I'm sure a street sketcher would find this method too slow and monotonous but with me sitting at home, I find this method extremely relaxing.

Used the Pilot Prera with Lexington Ink.

Best to view video full screen (sorry for the poor quality but that comes from converting for internet viewing here.  Also used my phone camera because it was handy).  Normally I would have the paper weighed down while I sketch but this shows how lightly I touch the paper as you can see it doesn't move that much.  I will work back and forth and repeat until I get the values I want.....sometimes turning the page at an angle to cross hatch.  I also noticed the nib point is slightly tilted to one side.







No comments: