Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Simple Shapes Perspective Practice

Perspective if one of those four letter words in my vocabulary I often struggle with.  But I do practice off and on when in the mood hoping eventually one day it comes easier for me.  Especially when we're talking on the spot viewing without the use of rulers and guidelines visualizing the horizon line that's not always evident due to the surroundings (at least to me).

Wanting to practice, I went through my photos and came across a good example to try and capture on paper.  Simple rectangular shapes without a lot of detail.  I liked this because the boxes are stacked changing the perspective from top to bottom.  Some areas I think I did ok and others not so much. 

I started out with pencil and then adding the watercolor before the ink lines.  To the right, however, I ended up with the ink first and then the watercolor.  With a Sharpie pen, it doesn't seem to matter which is first but when using a fountain pen, the ink lines following color always look super stark to me. 


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will be honest and say I envy your clean lines ,, since my vision went south I have to settle with the wobbles, your painting I beautiful,

Susan Bronsak said...

Thank you, Laurie.

As for settling with wobbles...........wobbles add "character" :-D

My lines aren't always clean or straight........some days are easier for me. One of the tricks I've learned that seems to help me is going from left to right even if it means I have to turn the book or paper. I struggle up and down. I start my line and then set my eye on the finishing point moving my hand without actually looking as I lay down the line. I might see the line out of my peripheral vision but I don't focus on the point of my pen on paper as it moves......if that makes sense. Plus it helps warming up with pencil first.

I practiced that over and over and it really seems to help.

If I'm anxious or have trouble concentrating, then my trick doesn't work. Shorter lines are easier to do too.