Monday, January 25, 2021

Wood Burning Tool Sketch

After working several wood blanks, I am finding just how much I enjoy using this TruArt Pyrography set the boys gifted me for Christmas.  I have spent several hours burning and the pen handle is comfortable to work with and has yet to get warm.  Not sure I can say that if using high temperatures but the settings I feel most comfortable with do not cause any issues with heat.  I love the fact you can hold this like a pen or pencil close to the tips whereas the solid tip wood burning tools you can't due to heat.

In addition to wood blanks, I have now tried my hand at burning cork and find that I really enjoy how it burns.  Much faster than burning the wood and cleaner and more consistent than burning watercolor paper fibers.

Heat settings I find most comfortable with are 50 for the poplar plywood wood blanks and around 32 for the cork.  And the tip I use most often with these settings is the Universal or standard wire tip.  The other tip is the Flat wire tip and settings for that depends on the amount of shading I want from light to dark.  For now I plan to stick with these two tips until I have more experience.

Sketch worked in journal with old stock of Fabriano Artistico watercolor paper.  TWSBI 580ALR with Lexington Grey ink.  QoR watercolors.



No comments: