Sunday, April 4, 2021

April 2021 Monthly Goal - Minimum One Pen and Ink

For my pen and ink, I decided to work with ballpoint.  Sometime this month I will be taking a course in ballpoint pen working portraits.  In the meantime, I wanted to play a bit with two different ballpoints I recently purchased for the course.  A BIC and a Zebra 4-color pen.

The BIC has four colors in medium point.  The Zebra has four colors plus a pencil lead.  The Zebra is a fine point pen.

First example is working on Fabriano Hotpress and the Beta fish is on regular bond paper.

What I found is that the Zebra tends to blob more easily, especially the green ink.  I’m not real thrilled with the green even in its hue tone with either pen.  Not very natural to my eyes.

The red is more vibrant in the Zebra whereas the blue is more vibrant in the BIC pen.

I prefer the Zebra over the BIC due to it having a fine point plus it’s more comfortable holding for any length of time.  My hand would start feeling fatigued and border of cramping using the BIC.





No comments: