Friday, April 23, 2021

Art Journaling with a Purpose

I read today where someone was asking for advice dealing with creative blocks.  We all go through them and one way I've managed to work through those times is to view it in a positive by rethinking as "Recharge Periods."  Not so negative which can make us feel worse when those times hit.  Sometimes we just need a break and that's OK.

However, sometimes we develop negative thoughts in general and one of the biggest culprits in my hitting slumps or blocks has happened when this negative voice inside my head starts asking "why do I bother sketching and painting or what purpose does this have when all I do is work in sketchbooks or Ipad tucked away out of sight"?   Many teach, sell their work, or write books on what they do.  Their artwork has a purpose.  I'm not into any of these things except maybe sharing steps that might help another viewer from time to time.

My work has always been therapeutic and that was enough for the longest time.  Then over the last two years I found myself questioning this reason as being enough.  I struggled for months with that which only dampened my desire to do anything.  That's when I started working out creative ways to bring my work OUTSIDE the closed journals lining my bookshelf or hidden inside the Ipad as gifts and unique ways of displaying for myself and family here at home.

So when that negative voice tries to bring that question up again, it's time to squash it by stepping away from sketching and painting and doing something creative with what's already been done.

One of my favorite ways is by creating ATC size prints I can exchange with people or place in 2.5 x 3.5 magnetic photo sleeves for personal use and gifts to family members.

Last night and today I spent my time working on new ATCs to print since the last batch printed early 2020.  I place these throughout the house using file cabinets and refrigerator/freezers as art displays.  It adds a little something special to otherwise plain looking appliances and office furniture. 



2 comments:

Christine said...

Found your blog via pinterest.
I too use ATCs for artworks, their size suits my style.
I love the idea of adding magnetic backs to them. I usually use them on cards.
You'll probably get the odd comment from me,as I want to peruse your blog.
Thank you for sharing

Susan Bronsak said...

Christine, thank you so much for checking my blog out. And thank you for your comment.