Sunday, April 4, 2021

Hatching / Cross-Hatching Exercise

Today I started a new course by Robin Hilthouse - Portraits In Pen

The lessons start out going over the difference between cavities (craters as some might call them) and bumps on skin using cross-hatching.

As much as I love good ballpoint sketch results by artists, I am not sure I will be one to really get into using ballpoints too often.  I am finding right off that it takes a LOT of patience, which I am not sure I have enough for this process.  Ballpoint also causes me a bit of frustration due to ink pooling at the points and creating blobs on the paper.  Even wiping the pen often I find they still occur.  And the other issue I'm dealing with is hand fatigue, thumb/finger tingling, and cramping in my hand.  At first I thought it was just the BIC pen causing these issues but I'm quickly learning it doesn't matter which pen I use...the BIC or the Zebra.  What's funny is that the Apple Pencil, regular or mechanical pencils, and fountain pens do not do this to me unless I have been non-stop for hours at a time.  With the ballpoint, I'm lucky if I make it 15 to 20 minutes before having to stop and take a break.

This exercise I worked both with ballpoint in my Alpha sketchbook and also on the Ipad using Procreate.  I find it less taxing on my hand working on the Ipad versus pen to paper.  My lines are more consistent in value as I lay down each hatch mark.  It helps that I can change the opaque value where I don't have to totally rely on pen pressure like I have to with the ballpoint.  I normally have a light touch anyways but find with the ballpoint, my lines can sometimes go down darker than I want.  Major plus with the Ipad.......no blobs!!!

I will continue with the course and see how my feelings are later with regards to Ballpoint.  The major reason I wanted to take the course was to learn how other artists use hatching and cross-hatching which can be done in pen or pencil and even on the Ipad.



No comments: