Sunday, September 6, 2020

Practice Sketching Birds

Over the last couple of days, I have been watching (and sketching along the way) a few videos on Drawing Birds by John Muir Laws.  Although I've sketched and painted birds for years, I never knew the anatomy of birds and thought by learning this, it might help me improve on results.  If nothing else, it would help to be able to identify which part of the bird I'm working on and learning what I can simplify and still end up with decent results.

I worked these as reference I can fall back on if necessary.  Fab Hotpress / TWSBI Eco with Urban Grey ink.



Using a model from the video, I worked this bird in graphite.  Then added ink and then decided to add some color.  This was basically playing with three different techniques within the same bird sketch.


While I worked the pencil sketch, I didn't think to scan the steps I chose to use from how John works his bird sketches so I tried to recreate those steps using Procreate on the Ipad.  I find using the circles or ovals like he does for head and body proportions throws me off.  I do better this way by focusing on the contour lines and how each curve or line relates in distance and placement to other areas around it.




2 comments:

Ginny Stiles said...

Just to remind you I am following your blog and paying attention! I love the birds.

Susan Bronsak said...

GREAT to hear from you and thank you :-)