Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Wild Rose and Memories

Not sure exactly what type of rose this is but I was told it fell under the wild rose.  This rose sends out long trailers that will climb anything near it.  Dad had a very large tree at the side of his house and it grew beneath it, sending it's trailers all around climbing up into the tree.  It was absolutely gorgeous!!!

While living in West Virginia, dad gave us a starter, which we planted at the front corner of our house.  We had a trellis made that it climbed and continued doing so up and across the railing of our porch.  Our porch was above the garage or what some might consider a second level of the house. 

When we moved, we brought with us a starter that is still growing in a pot.  We're really not sure if it will survive in the ground here in Florida with sandy soil or where exactly to place it due to the harshness of the sun, so we've left it in a pot.  After six years of being here, it's never flowered but continues to grow.  Unfortunately nothing like it did up north and the leaves tend to get black spot probably due to the high humidity here.  

I like sketching and painting this particular type of rose.  It's my favorite of all the rose varieties.  Going through photos I have from years back, I decided to sketch it again.  First in my sketchbook in ballpoint pen and then decided I also wanted to work variations on my Ipad using Procreate.  After I finished the digital versions, I went back to the sketchbook and added color using watercolor.

Here are the results:




No comments: