Sunday, September 13, 2020

Swallowtail Butterfly in Graphite

Before I jump into my next challenge requested of me, I decided to draw this butterfly that showed up outside the window where I sit throughout the day.

I had no idea what kind it was until I looked it up on the internet.  Turns out to be a Swallowtail but not sure which one.  Might be considered an Eastern Tiger Swallowtail or maybe a Black Swallowtail (at least so far from what I've been able to find).  

This one was primarily brown (a reddish brown) with off white or cream "white" spots.  Also had suggested spots of powder blue towards the bottom of the wings and above the "white" spots.  In the photo there's a hint of orange just below the long segment of the body where one white spot is split in the center.

Worked in Stillman and Birn Alpha sketchbook with Staedtler Mars Lumograph 2B and 4B pencils.



No comments: