Friday, February 22, 2019

Practice with Trees - Different Methods of Ink Lines

Using Procreate and Apple pencil, I've been practicing sketching trees.  Once I get a good feel for what I am doing, I plan to repeat using my journal and either fountain pen or dip pen. 

This first one using squiggly lines to build everything up.  As I look at the steps here on screen, I see I might want to lighten some of the middle front just a bit.   I used my neighbor's tree as my model but time of day wasn't great for lights and shadows..........I had to use my imagination.

The tree this is modeled after is very dense and you really don't seem much in the way of gaps showing limbs.  This is what I see throughout the day sitting at my desk.  It's located right across the street and is very large.  I believe it's in the oak family.

I used the Technical pen tool for this similar to a Micron 3 pen.



This next one is from imagination and I chose to use a different method for creating my values.  I left more white space in the clumps within the canopy and used hatching/cross hatching/squiggly hatch marks for the darker areas.  The above is my normal method so this next way I'm not sure if I like or not.   I love this method when others use it but not sure about my line work.  Will continue to practice.

Also using the Technical pen tool.  I have it set emulating a Micron 3.

No comments: