Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Today's Outing - Discovery Gardens

We had a gorgeous morning to meet up at Discovery Gardens which is an agricultural establishment in Tavares, FL.

There were four of us who met up with several others who couldn't make it due to health issues...Ella, Nancy, Susan, and myself.

This is a place I could go to repeatedly as there's so much there of interest to sketch.  And the people who work the grounds are all super friendly welcoming us and making our time there very pleasant.

I arrived about 30 or 40 minutes before others did walking around and taking a few photos.  Then came across this tree that just called out to me to sketch.  I love twisty / knobby trees!!!!  This particular tree is a Contorted Mulberry.

Worked the sketch to include a little watercolor while sitting there and then came home and touched it up a little with darker ink lines and a bit more color.

I chose not to paint the entire scene as everything is gray......paved stones, gravel, tree, the lawn ornament to the right of the tree (with a little yellow in it), and fence.  The only real color was the green plants up near the fence.  I thought about adding green for some color but then felt that would cut my scene in two halves so left it alone.  My main focus was the tree anyways.

Fabriano Soft watercolor paper (which my fountain pen doesn't care for) / TWSBI Eco / Urban Grey ink / Watercolor


Nothing fancy but worked this page as a recording of Rosemary cuttings that were given to us by one of the workers.  She shared how to cut the tips stripping the last few leaves off the cutting; dipping in Rootone, and then placing in a small pot of soil.

I couldn't find our Rootone and it was too late to go buy new so I looked up alternative ways to root Rosemary.  One place just suggested to cut tips, strip bottom leaves off and stick in a jar of water changing the water every couple of days.  Also suggested to keep in a warm spot out of direct sunlight until roots appeared.  Then plant in soil.  We'll try that to see what happens.

As for the rest of the cuttings, we will dry them and use as seasoning :-)

Stonehenge90 paper / TWSBI Eco with Urban Grey ink / Watercolor




No comments: