Monday, September 2, 2019

Monday and Still Waiting

Each day I've been trying to concentrate on sketching as we sit and follow the hurricane updates.  It's so heart wrenching thinking what the people in the Bahamas are going through.  I just can't wrap my head around a storm of this magnitude sitting stationery or barely moving over an area and what it's doing to that location and the emotional toll on those going through it.

This has been such a long drawn out state of the unknown and for so many people, I'm sure, very exhausting.

To keep busy and as a break from the news updates, I've managed the following:

August 31st - Going through photos, I first decided on this Fuchsia flower.  We miss having them here in Florida.  Looking up what information I could find, you can grow the flower here but can be quite a challenge due to the heat and humidity.

I worked this by painting first and then going back and adding the ink lines using a Micron 02 pen.



September 1st brought on a new challenge between my friend, Clare, and myself.  It was her turn to choose the challenge.  Her and I both have what's called the Cuttlelola Dot Pen, so she wanted us to work a sketch using that pen.

Before prepping the pen (charging it), I decided to first use Procreate and the Stipple Brush Tool to work a rather large thumbnail that I would follow when using dot pen in sketchbook.  The advantage of working this in Procreate is the ability to control values and size of dots.


Once the dot pen was charged, I started working this sketch.  I had to recharge several times to finish plus take breaks due to the vibration and hand fatigue.

If I were to choose which I personally liked better, it would be the Procreate sketch.  I particularly like the cloud formations in the digital sketch plus the atmospheric feel to it versus the one done using the actual pen.


Once the ink was totally dry, I decided to add some color using watercolors.  Worked in the Zeta sketchbook.



After the landscape, I decided to work another sketch using the dot pen.  This is some sort of plant from a photo I had taken back in 2010 when we lived in West Virginia.  The challenge here was definitely in the long thin tendrils or whatever they are called using the pen.  I had to keep stopping...lifting the pen and then setting it down hoping I picked up right where I left off as I turned or changed direction with the pen.  It was a bit taxing on the eyes, to say the least.


September 2 - White Breasted Nuthatch.  From another photo taken back in 2010 while living in West Virginia.  A bird I haven't seen here in Florida.


This one is worked in the Hand Sewn journal with old stock of Fabriano Artistico 140lb watercolor paper.  Decided to paint and then stop before taking ink to it.  I've decided to leave as it is.

And for a change I actually remembered to scan along the way.





No comments: